Thursday 31 March 2011

Dakota Duck

Howdy Folks! My name is Dakota and I am a daring duck who lives in a wetland marsh. I love to splash around all day and get dirty in the mud. I bet you like to splash in puddles too! Lately I have been very sad though and not my energetic self. This is because all the biggest and best puddles to play in are vanishing! Not only are the awesome puddles disappearing but also my entire home in the marsh is starting to dry up. I am very worried about where my family and I will live if the marsh completely dries up. At duck school we learn how to move to new wetlands when our current wetland home dries up. Kind of like how you learn how to prepare for earthquakes and fires at your school. Having supplies in place in case your home is damaged during an earthquake or fire is very important thing to learn about. But lately the temperature of the earth has become warmer and more and more wetlands are drying up, or not staying wet in the same way they used to. This makes it difficult for us ducks to plan our moving trips, which we call migration.

Why is the temperature of the earth higher than normal?

Baby ducks are effected by climate change too!
    The answer is global warming.  My friend Ophelia Oyster already told you a bit about global warming, but she forgot to mention a few of the other ways people may be contributing to global warming. Anytime you use electricity carbon dioxide is released into the atmosphere. This is because using electricity requires the burning of fossil fuels.

How can you cut back on electricity?
    Remember to turn lights off when you are not in that room. Always turn off your computer when you are finished. Try to limit your time watching TV and playing video games. Playing outside can be fun too! Get some friends together and play a game of hide n’ go seek tag! That is one of my favourites. It is definitely important to have a shower after playing in the mud, I always make sure I do, but it doesn’t take that long to get all sparkly clean again. Try to reduce the amount of time you spend in the shower, because heating up water requires electricity.  If you try really hard to do the things I have mentioned you can help save my home! And I can continue to be a daring duck that loves to splash in puddles.  Stay tuned for next week, you will learn how to save my good friend Patty Polar bear who is in serious danger!


More on Ducks and Global Warming
http://www.nwf.org/Global-Warming/Effects-on-Wildlife-and-Habitat/Birds-and-Waterfowl.aspx

1 comment:

  1. Dakota, I can't imagine having to move every year!! Hopefully the we can stop the wetlands from drying up and you won't have to move so much.

    ReplyDelete